How to Get an Electrical Contractor License in Texas
If you`re looking to become an electrical contractor in Texas, you`ll need to obtain a license from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). The process can seem overwhelming, but with the right steps and knowledge, you can successfully obtain your license.
Here are the steps to follow to get an electrical contractor license in Texas:
1. Meet the eligibility requirements: To be eligible for an electrical contractor license in Texas, you must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or equivalent, have at least four years of experience working as an electrician, and pass the Electrical Contractor exam. Additionally, you must not have any felony convictions or any violations of electrical or safety codes.
2. Obtain the necessary education and experience: You must have at least four years of experience working as an electrician to be eligible for a contractor`s license. This experience must include at least one year of experience as a licensed electrician in a supervisory position. You can obtain this experience by working for an electrical contractor, taking on apprenticeships, or working in a related field.
3. Pass the Electrical Contractor exam: Once you meet the eligibility requirements, you must pass the Electrical Contractor exam. The exam consists of 80 questions and you must score at least 70% to pass. You can prepare for the exam by studying the Texas Electrical Safety and Licensing Act, the National Electric Code, and the Texas Administrative Code.
4. Obtain liability insurance and a surety bond: Before you can obtain your license, you must show proof of liability insurance and surety bond. The minimum amount required for liability insurance is $300,000 per occurrence and $600,000 aggregate. The minimum amount required for the surety bond is $10,000.
5. Submit your application and pay the fee: Once you`ve completed all of the above steps, you must submit your application along with the required documentation and pay the application fee. The fee is currently $115.
6. Await approval: After your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the TDLR. If everything is in order, you will be granted your electrical contractor license.
In conclusion, obtaining an electrical contractor license in Texas requires a combination of education, experience, and passing an exam. By following the above steps, you can successfully obtain your license and begin your career as an electrical contractor in Texas.